Grade Anywhere™ with Turnitin for iPad®
LMS Integration Users
I use Turnitin through an LMS (e.g. Blackboard, Moodle, ANGEL, Sakai, D2L, etc.) or other integrated system. Can I use Turnitin for iPad to grade and leave feedback on my student’s papers?
Yes. Instructors who use Turnitin through an LMS can use Turnitin for iPad by generating a unique class access code from inside the document viewer and logging into the app using the class access code.
How do I generate a class access code?
As an integration user, you will need a unique class access code in order to log in to your classes on Turnitin for iPad. To generate a unique class access code:
- Sign into your LMS from your iPad
- Open the document viewer for a paper in the class
- Click on the iPad access button in the lower left
- Click “Generate code”
- The unique class access code will be displayed
NOTE: Class access codes are one-time use only. If you log out or “Unlink iPad from Turnitin,” you will need to generate a new access code for the class by repeating the steps above.
How do I add access codes for the my other classes in the LMS we use?
Every integration (LMS) class will have its own class access code. To access additional LMS-based classes from Turnitin for iPad:
- Generate the class's unique access code from Turnitin within your LMS
- Open Turnitin for iPad
- Tap the user profile button in the upper right
- Tap “Add class with access code”
- Enter the access code for the class
- Tap “Add”
- Repeat for remaining classes
My co-instructor gave me a class access code for our class but Turnitin for iPad won’t let me log in with it. Why?
Class access codes are one-time use only. You will need to generate your own access code for the class using these steps.
I have classes both through an LMS and through Turnitin directly. How can I see all of my classes in Turnitin for iPad?
If you use Turnitin both directly and through an LMS, sign into Turnitin for iPad using your Turnitin username and password first then follow these steps to add the access code for your LMS-based classes.
What do I need to know to quickly get started marking papers in Turnitin for iPad?
To quickly get started marking papers in Turnitin for iPad, you need to know "TPS" - Tap, Press, Swipe:
- Tap on the paper for most interactions such as leaving marks
- Press to select text or marks
- Drag to move marks or change the selection length
- Swipe across with one finger to access the Grade Overview
- Tap to change grades, mark rubrics, and leave general and Voice comments in the Grade Overview
- Swipe with two fingers to move between papers
For more in-depth information about using Turnitin for iPad, check out the interactive tutorial using the “Try Tutorial” button inside the app.
Can I use Turnitin for iPad as a student?
Not at this time. The Turnitin for iPad currently only supports instructors using the app to leave feedback and grades on their students’ papers.
I am an instructor using TurnitinUK, how do I log into Turnitin for iPad?
As a TurnitinUK instructor you will be able to log in using your username and password for submit.ac.uk, or using your class access code if you access TurnitinUK through an LMS integration. Please note however, you will first need to change the source setting on Turnitin for iPad to point to TurnitinUK. To change Turnitin for iPad’s source setting:
- Open Settings on your iPad (looks like an app with a sprocket image)
- Scroll the navigation menu down to Turnitin
- Tap the Turnitin line
- Tap the “Root URL” field
- Tap “TurnitinUK”
- Exit settings, you should now be able to log in
You should only need to change this setting once. The app will remember your Root URL setting should you need to log out and log back in to Turnitin for iPad.
Why don’t I see the marks that I left in GradeMark?
If you don’t see the marks that you left in GradeMark when you the view the papers in Turnitin for iPad or you don’t see the marks you have left on the iPad when you the view the papers in GradeMark, your iPad may not have synched. To tell Turnitin for iPad to sync:
- Check to be certain that your iPad is online (try going to a new page in Safari)
- Open Turnitin for iPad
- Click the Sync button at the top right (arrow in a circle)
This should cause your papers to synch. If a number appears in a red block next to the sync button, click on the block to see what errors may have occurred.
What features are available in Turnitin for iPad? Do I need to do anything through Turnitin directly?
Turnitin for iPad is designed to allow Turnitin instructors to view student papers in OriginalityCheck and use GradeMark to leave feedback from their iPads. With Turnitin for iPad you will be able to:
- View papers that have been submitted to assignments
- Add QuickMark comments to papers
- Add in line text comments to papers
- Add bubble comments to papers
- Convert bubble comments to QuickMark comments
- Mark papers using rubrics that have been previously attached to assignments
- Leave Voice Comments on papers
- Leave general comments on papers
- Add and change grades for papers
- See the Originality Report content match overview list of sources for papers
- See glimpses for content matches on papers
- See the full source view for sources of content matches
Class management, assignment management, and paper submissions must be performed through Turnitin directly or through the Turnitin integration in your LMS.
How can I view OriginalityCheck matches in Turnitin for iPad?
To view matches from the OriginalityCheck in Turnitin for iPad:
- Tap on the OriginalityCheck button at the top right of the paper
- Slide the switch at the top of the source list to “On”
Matches to sources will then be highlighted within the paper. Tap on the numbered flag at the beginning of a match highlight to view the glimpse (view of the source text) for a match.
NOTE: Setting exclusions and inclusions such as excluding quoted material, viewing of alternate sources, requesting to view student source papers, and refreshing Originality Reports must be performed through Turnitin directly or through the Turnitin integration in your LMS.
What are the system requirements for Turnitin for iPad?
iPad is a trademark of Apple Inc.