A survey of instructors was conducted by Turnitin to determine the tangible impact of the benefits experienced using Turnitin for online grading and feedback. 350 Turnitin instructor-users took the survey which touched on three core tenets of Turnitin's grading platform.
The survey ultimately found that instructors who grade with Turnitin:
- reduce grading time by 31.4%;
- improve the quality of feedback by 52%;
- increase the level of student engagement by 46%.
Respondents found 2 aspects of Turnitin's online grading most beneficial:
- 39% said it "Saves me time compared to pen and paper methods of grading"
- 31% said it "Helps me provide richer feedback to students o their writing assignments"
Among instructors that said saving time was the greatest benefit of grading with Turnitin, we found that on average, they reduced their time spent grading by 31.4%. To calculate this, we asked each instructor, "In one hour, how many typical student papers could you grade" using traditional pen-and-paper methods as well as using Turnitin. Of course answers varied depending on the instructors' class, level, and assignment types, but was controlled for since instructors essentially offered comparative rates for their own papers. We converted these papers-per-hour rates into minutes-per-paper rates, and calculated the difference between these rates for each instructor.