Adding QuickMark Drag-and-drop Comments
The QuickMark comments are commonly used or standard editing marks that instructors can utilize when editing and grading papers.
These marks are stored in sets found in the QuickMark Manager. The marks are added to a student paper from the QuickMark Sidebar. The GradeMark system automatically provides four QuickMark sets consisting of commonly used editing marks and standard corrections. Instructors can use these sets, create sets of their own, access a set shared by the Turnitin account administrator, upload a set provided by another teacher, or draw from a combination of sets.
To add a QuickMark editing mark to a paper, simply click on the QuickMark comment in the sidebar and drag it onto the desired location on the paper.
To select the active QuickMark set for the QuickMark sidebar:
- Click on the QuickMark Manager icon
- The active set has the circle next to its name filled in with blue. Click on the name of the set to add to the sidebar
- Click the "Make this the active set" link in the far right column
- Close the library by clicking on the "Close" link in the bottom right corner of the QuickMark Manager. The QuickMark comments within the active QuickMark set will now be displayed in the QuickMark sidebar
- To change the active QuickMark set without opening the QuickMark Manager, click on the QuickMark set list icon to the left of the active set name and select the set to use to mark up the paper.
To add a QuickMark editing mark to a paper:
- If the QuickMark sidebar is not open, Click on the "QuickMark" button below the sidebar
- Click the QuickMark comment to add it to the center of the paper or click and drag the comment to the desired location on the paper. Hovering over a QuickMark will display the description of the mark in the blue tinted area below the QuickMark sidebar
- To associate a highlight with a QuickMark comment, select the text on the paper and then click on the QuickMark comment on the sidebar
- The QuickMark comment will automatically be placed at the end of the highlight
- (Optional) Instructors can add additional comments to a QuickMark, change the color of the highlight, or associate a QuickMark comment with a rubric criterion by clicking on the "Edit" button while hovering over a QuickMark comment
- (Optional) Enter the additional comment in the Additional Commentstext box, (if applicable) select a rubric criterion to associate the QuickMark comment with from the Associate a criterion drop down menu, or (if applicable) select a different color for the highlight.
Then click "Save" to add the additional comment to the QuickMark, associate the mark with a rubric criterion or apply the new highlight color
Creating QuickMark Comments
Instructors can create their own QuickMark comments in the QuickMark Manager or transform a regular comment on a paper into a QuickMark. This allows instructors to create class or curriculum specific marks that may not be part of the sets provided by Turnitin or the account administrator.
To create a new QuickMark from a regular comment made to a paper:
- Click on the "Comment" button on the side bar or click anywhere on the paper to add a comment to the paper
- Enter the comment description within the text field
- Click on the "Save as new QuickMark" link
- Enter a title for the QuickMark. This title will be displayed on the paper.
Select a set to add this QuickMark to by clicking on the drop down menu below "Add to set:"
Note: QuickMark comments that are not added to a set will be located within "All" in the QuickMark manager
- Click "Save" to save the new QuickMark comment