Turnitin for iPad allows instructors to grade student papers with all the favorite Turnitin features, on your iPad with the added benefit of grading offline. Turnitin for iPad includes automated originality feedback and allows you to leave the following types of feedback on student papers:
- QuickMark® comments with personalized comments
- Highlights with comments
- Bubble comments
- Inline comments
- Strikethrough text
- Voice comments
- General comments
- Rubric grading
Turnitin for iPad is available as a free download in the App Store. Once downloaded to your iPad, click on the Turnitin icon to open the app.
NOTE: In order to use Turnitin for iPad, you must have a Turnitin instructor user profile associated with a valid institutional Turnitin account.
Accessing the In-App Tutorial
For a quick self-paced tutorial, try the in-app tutorial. Once you have downloaded Turnitin for iPad, tap the “Try Demo” button to launch the tutorial and explore the various features. This tutorial is also available after logging in—tap the “Try Tutorial” button. This is the best way to learn how to use the app.
Most users can simply log in with your user name (email address) and password. This is the same login credentials as Turnitin.
Access via Learning Management System
If you access Turnitin through an integration with a learning management system, you will need to generate a class access code in order to log in to your classes on Turnitin for iPad. To generate a unique class access code:
- Sign into your LMS from your computer.
- Open the Turnitin document viewer for a paper in the class.
- Tap on the iPad access button in the bottom left of the document viewer.
- Tap “Generate code”
- The unique class access code will be displayed. Copy this code or write it down.
- Go to the Turnitin for iPad app and tap the “Access Code” tab.
- Paste or enter your access code and tap the “Add” button.
Each class you want to add requires a unique access code. To add additional classes:
- Generate the class’ unique access code from Turnitin within your LMS.
- Open Turnitin for iPad.
- Tap the user profile button in the top right.
- Tap “Add class with access code.”
- Enter the access code for the class.
- Tap ‘the “Add” button
- Repeat for remaining classes.
Access for TurnitinUK Users
If you are a UK-based instructor, you will be able to log in using your username and password for turnitinuk.com, or using your class access code (below) if you access TurnitinUK through an LMS integration. Please note however, you will first need to change the source setting on Turnitin for iPad to point to TurnitinUK. To change Turnitin for iPad’s source setting:
- Open Settings on your iPad (looks like an app with a sprocket image)
- Scroll the navigation menu down to Turnitin
- Tap the Turnitin line
- Tap the “Root URL” field
- Tap “TurnitinUK”
- Exit settings, you should now be able to log in
You should only need to change this setting once. The app will remember your Root URL setting should you need to log out and log back in to Turnitin for iPad.
Getting to Your Assignments
Once logged in, tap the “Accounts” button in the upper right to view the sidebar (if you are holding the iPad in landscape orientation, the sidebar will already be visible).
- Tap on the account you want to access. This will give you a list of all of your active classes under this account.
- Tap on the Class you want to view. This will give you a list of all the assignments from this class.
- Tap on the assignment you want to view. The main window will update to view the list of students categorized by ungraded, graded, or not submitted and sorted alphabetically.
- Tap on one of the blue cloud-download icons to download and sync papers.
- In the Sync Papers box that appears, you will be prompted to sync all papers for the assignment. Tap the “Sync Papers” button to enable syncing. With this enabled, all papers will download and changes will be synced approximately every 5 minutes.
- Once all papers are downloaded you will see the Overall Similarity Scores for each paper. Tap on any student name to view that paper.