Navigating the Instructor Homepage
After logging in the instructor user is brought to the homepage. The instructor homepage provides access to many Turnitin features. The instructor homepage lists the accounts and classes the instructor has created and any class sections which the instructor has been assigned as the Teaching Assistant (TA) for.
If no accounts are listed, please see Joining An Account in the next section.
The "Home" link leads back to the instructor homepage list of all accounts and classes controlled by the instructor.
A user profile contains personal information and user preferences. Click the "user info" button on the system bar to open the "user profile" options. The user information area is separated into two sections: "personal information" and "user preferences."
In the personal information section of the user information page a user is shown a number of fields, many of which are optional and can be filled at the discretion of the user.
There are required fields which are listed here:
- User name (e-mail)
- Confirm password
- Secret question
- Question answer
- Last name
- First name
The user preferences section of a user profile affects how information within the profile account is presented and sets defaults for commonly used functions. User preferences include:
- default user type – select the type of user access to default to upon login
- default submission type – select a default submission type: single file upload, multiple file upload, cut and paste upload, or zip file upload
- items per page – select the number of items you would like displayed per page
- show page info – toggles the info messages at the top of each page on and off
- send me e-mail updates – choose yes to receive e-mail updates from Turnitin
- use homepage link – choose yes to create a homepage link. To set up a link, enter a link name and URL below.
- default language - select the language in which Turnitin will display by default for this user when logged in
All other areas of the personal information section are optional.
Changing User Types
A single user profile can access multiple roles on any Turnitin account, including instructor, student, and administrator functions. To access the student or administrator homepage, you will need to change your user type in the top left hand corner of the web page. For more information on using the system as a specific user type, please refer to the corresponding User Guide.
Messages and Announcements
To view important Turnitin messages and announcements, click on the "messages" button on the system bar.
Warning: Urgent notifications may appear both on the messages page and on the Turnitin user homepage. These include messages announcing scheduled downtimes.
Information and Assistance
The "help" button on the top right corner of the page allows a user to access the Help Center. The Help Center contains searchable answers to common questions users of Turnitin ask. Within the Help Center is a link to the Turnitin Help Desk where users can send any questions or problems about Turnitin with a description of the question/problem. The Turnitin helpdesk will email you an answer to your question in a timely manner.