Setting User Preferences
The Turnitin student user homepage contains a number of links in the toolbar at the top that allow a user to change their profile and preference information or check for system-wide announcements from Turnitin.
The "HOME" link returns a student user to their student user homepage and the list of classes in which the active user profile is currently enrolled. From this page, a user can enroll in new classes or enter a class portfolio.
A user profile contains personal information and user preferences. Click the "user info" link to open the user profile options. The user information area is separated into two sections: personal information and user preferences.
In the personal information section of the user information page a user is shown a number of fields, many of which are optional and can be provided at your discretion. There are required fields however, which are listed here:
- User name (e-mail)
- Confirm password
- Secret question
- Question answer
- Last name
- First name
All other areas of the personal information section are optional.
The user preferences section of a user profile affects how information within the profile account is presented and sets defaults for commonly used functions. User preferences include:
- default user type – determines the type of user homepage seen on login - administrator, instructor, or student; change user type is done by using the "user type" button.
- default submission type – select a default submission type: file upload, bulk upload, or cut and paste
- items per page – select the number of items you would like displayed per page
- show page info – toggles the info messages at the top of each page on and off
- send me e-mail updates – choose "yes" to receive e-mail updates from Turnitin
- use homepage link – choose "yes" to create a homepage link. To set up a link, enter a link name and URL below.
Messages and Announcements
To view important Turnitin messages and announcements, click on the "messages" link.
Warning: Urgent notifications may appear both on the messages page and on the Turnitin user homepage. These include messages announcing scheduled downtimes.
Information and Assistance
The yellow "help" button on the top right corner of the page allows a user to contact the helpdesk and send any questions or problems about Turnitin with a description of the question/problem. The Turnitin helpdesk will email you an answer to your question in a timely manner.
The Help Center is an area we have created for our users to search for help or information about using Turnitin. Frequently updated lists of the most common questions we receive are also available.